Did you know your home is at the highest risk of carbon monoxide poisoning from your furnace in the fall and winter? Without even knowing it, this odorless, tasteless, colorless, and potentially fatal threat can strike at any time.
Both regular HVAC maintenance and being aware of the common signs of carbon monoxide poisoning can help protect your home and loved ones. As the colder months approach, it’s important to follow this simple guide to protect yourself from carbon monoxide as the colder months approach.
Common Physical Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Similar to the flu, you may have a carbon monoxide leak in your home if you’re experiencing any of the following:
- Upset Stomach
- Chest Pain
Breathing in too much carbon monoxide can cause one to lose consciousness, or even die. If you’re experiencing these symptoms, evacuate your home and call 911.
Where Can Carbon Monoxide Leak From In Your Home?
Where are the areas in your home that are susceptible to a potential carbon monoxide leak?
Carbon monoxide can only be emitted from fuel-burning devices. This is the same for any appliance in your home that burns fuel, such as a gas range. Therefore, if your furnace uses natural gas, propane, or oil to make heat, your furnace creates carbon monoxide.
The most common source is your HVAC system. However, any fuel-burning appliance has the potential to leak, such as:
Common causes of carbon monoxide leaks in your home include:
- A dirty furnace filter
- Fallen soot in fireplaces
- Closed furnace vents
- Cracked heat exchanger
- Gas-burning appliance malfunction
- Improper ventilation
Prevent Carbon Monoxide Leaks With Regular Maintenance
To stay on-top of carbon monoxide threats, you should consider having your home’s heating system inspected by a professional prior to the fall or winter.
Even more so, you can stay on top of your HVAC system’s health with regularly scheduled furnace maintenance. The team at Supreme PHC offers service agreements, so that your furnace and air conditioning maintenance is done on a regular basis, keeping your home protected.
As mentioned above, fireplaces can also be a source of a potential carbon monoxide leak. Therefore, preventative maintenance is key to keeping your fireplace working correctly. Schedule a fireplace maintenance appointment to ensure that your home is safe and free of carbon monoxide today!
24/7 Emergency Repair Anytime, Anywhere
Carbon monoxide leaks happen anytime, anywhere in your home. That’s why Supreme offers 24/7 emergency repair for your Terre Haute home’s heating system. Our certified HVAC technicians are here to help you with these emergency services, so that your house remains both warm and safe this winter.
However, if you suspect a carbon monoxide leak, please evacuate your home and contact both 911 and a technician immediately.
Contact us for a 24/7 emergency maintenance repair, so you can keep your peace of mind!